“Every child’s first instinct is to love…imagine a world that cherishes that instinct!”
Heartland Agency’s EvenStart Program offers holistic support services to children, many from backgrounds of poverty, trauma, abuse, and neglect. EvenStart provides programming that supports the growth and development of children’s social-emotional and learning needs within a centre-based setting, offering the support of a multi-disciplinary team consisting of teachers, educational assistants and therapists.
We are currently recruiting energetic and dynamic Educational Assistants for the 2023/24 school year to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team within our special education program. Positions will begin on August 28, 2022 and are available at our Mayland Heights location (1625 18th Street NE).
The EA implements and facilitates daily classroom plans under the supervision and direction of the classroom teacher. Working with at-risk children, many who have come from backgrounds of trauma, abuse neglect and poverty, you must be able to bring laughter, understanding, and creativity with you to work each day.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Create a safe and nurturing environment for children using a strength-based, trauma informed approach
- Collaborate with therapy, classroom, and management teams to provide holistic programming that meets children where they are at
- Develop and implement activities and strategies to address individual goals
- Organize, prepare and implement strategies for children to address unique needs (e.g., visual schedules, curriculum modifications, sensory strategies, etc.)
- Assist children in play activities to address their goals within a Reggio Emilia inspired environment
- Provide behavioural support to children with complex needs/challenging behaviours in conjunction with the multi-disciplinary team
- Communicate child progress to parents and caregivers through in-home visits
- Assist with self-help skills where needed, including eating, toileting and dressing
- Assist with classroom maintenance, material preparation and set-up
- Participation in up to 2 bussing components throughout the day
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Alberta Child Care Certification (can be obtained upon hire within a designated time frame)
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license and willingness to obtain a Class 4 license (costs and training covered by Heartland)
- First aid certification & criminal record check with vulnerable sector check (can be obtained upon hire within a designated time frame)
- Experience with a special needs population is an asset